What is social media engagement and why do you need it? Social media engagement refers to the likes, comments, re-pins, mentions, click-throughs, and shares that your posts receive on any social media platform. A powerful tool, the level of engagement you receive is more important than the size of your audience. Authentic engagement on your social media can result in:
- Improved brand awareness
- Reach a wider audience
- Customer loyalty and trust
- Meaningful connections with your audience
- Higher website traffic
- Increase word of mouth referrals
Raising your social media engagement is one of the many goals we have when creating social media content for our customers. So how do you increase your social media engagement? Here are our top five tips on how we do this.
5 Top Tips to Increase Your Social Media Engagement
To increase engagement on your social media platforms, here are five things to consider:
- Use high-quality graphics – social media is predominately an image-based platform (think Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram). Photos, infographics, GIFs and videos all help capture your audience’s attention. Appealing graphics are more likely to receive likes, comments and shares.
- Be proactive and reactive – engagement is a two-way street. You need to be proactive, starting conversations with your audience and people who have commented elsewhere about your brand. Be reactive and reply to all comments, mentions and messages, ideally within 24 hours. Ask questions, encourage content sharing, run competitions, and polls.
- Post regularly – newsfeeds are full of content from all sorts of places and people. If you don’t post frequently, your audience is unlikely to see it. As a minimum, twice weekly posting is a good place to start. From here you’ll be able to adjust the quantity to suit your audience.
- Use topical and on-brand content – your followers initially followed your brand because they liked what they saw, were recommended to by others or are interested in learning more about your industry, products or services. It’s important to continue to post on-brand content (both topic and imagery) to keep them following you. This includes posting about topical events and activities related to your industry.
- Understand your algorithms and analytics – each social media platform has its own algorithm, which will impact your posts. By understanding and using your analytics data, identify the best time and day to post, the most popular type of content, post frequency, best platform for specific content formats and audience activity. By providing content that meets what the platform wants and is looking for, you are more likely to increase engagement and reach.
If you would prefer to have us manage your social media accounts, let’s chat. Or if you’d like a review of your current achievement and suggestions on how to further improve your results, we can do that too. Get in touch with us today and find out how we can help you grow your online presence through social media marketing.